Information for Leveling / Out-of-Field Applicants

** NEW CHANGES: SPHS 3040 (Introduction to Audiology) and SPHS 4045 (Basic Rehabilitative Audiology) are new additions to the leveling requirements starting the 2016 application cycle. **

Individuals with a bachelor’s degree unrelated to communication science and disorders (CSD) are required to take a number of undergraduate courses in the field (i.e., “leveling” courses) before pursuing graduate studies in speech-language pathology. For out-of-field students who plan to apply to the UNT Master’s Program in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP), the following eight leveling classes are mandatory.

SPHS 2020 (Phonetics)

SPHS 3025 (Anatomical Bases of Speech and Hearing)

SPHS 3035 (Normal Speech and Language Development)

SPHS 3030 (Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology)

SPHS 3040 (Introduction to Audiology)

SPHS 4045 (Basic Rehabilitative Audiology)

SPHS 4050 (Neurological Bases of Speech and Hearing)

SPHS 4060 (Clinical Practicum)

At the time of application to the graduate program, you must have either completed these courses, or be enrolled in the last of these courses. For example, you might complete 4 of these classes in the fall semester, and take the remaining 4 in the spring semester while you are in the process of applying for graduate programs. It should be noted that completion of leveling coursework does not guarantee an admission to the UNT Master’s Program in Speech-Language Pathology, nor is there a certificate for completing required leveling courses.

Due to the competitive nature of graduate schools in this field, it is highly recommended that prospective students apply to several graduate programs. It is important to note that leveling requirements may be different at each school.

Please see the following link for instructions to apply to the SLP Master's Program at UNT:

For more information about career options in the field of speech-language pathology, please see the following link:

Steps to register for SPHS undergraduate classes at UNT as a leveling student:

1. Apply to the UNT Toulouse Graduate School ( as a non-degree-seeking post-baccalaureate student. 

Prospective leveling students should first be admitted by the UNT Toulouse Graduate School as a non-degree-seeking post-baccalaureate student before enrollment in undergraduate-level leveling courses. Toulouse Graduate School may admit the prospective students as non-degree-seeking graduate students without a major, provided that the minimum requirements determined by graduate school have been met.  Be aware that this admission process and resultant status is completely unrelated to the UNT Master's degree program in Speech-Language Pathology. For details of application process and deadlines, please consult the UNT Toulouse Graduate School website directly (

Please note that non-degree-seeking graduate students are NOT eligible for financial aid when taking undergraduate-level leveling courses. Also note that admission to the University as a non-degree-seeking post-baccalaureate student does NOT constitute admission to a 'leveling program' or to the graduate program in speech-language pathology at UNT, therefore there is no SPHS faculty available for advising. If you have any questions regarding leveling, please write to

2. After you have been admitted as a non-degree-seeking post-baccalaureate student, refer to the course list above and register for available courses.

Leveling students may take leveling courses in any semester in which they are offered, and in any order. Prerequisite requirements do not apply to leveling students. Keep in mind that undergraduate classes tend to fill up quickly, so it is not uncommon that you will have to register for classes based on availability. However, it is highly recommended that SPHS 2020, SPHS 3025, SPHS3030, and SPHS 3035 be taken prior to SPHS 3040, SPHS 4045, SPHS 4050, and SPHS 4060. Please see the following link for courses available by semester: Course Availability by Semester. Also consult the Registration Guide for the appropriate academic term for more information (

Note: If you are enrolling in classes for the first time at UNT, you will be eligible for registration only during the regular registration period. If you are a continuing student who have taken classes at UNT in the previous year, you will be eligible for early registration.

Course scheduling for all undergraduate courses can be found at the following website: